Sunday, October 5, 2008

2007 Santa Julia Organica Torrontes

A few weeks ago I was looking for a last minute white to go with some Chinese food that I had just picked up from the restaurant to bring home. I wandered into Du Vin Fine Wines in Alameda, a great little shop that has more Greek and Portuguese wines than I've seen anywhere else. Both of these areas are getting increasing attention for the quality wines they produce, and They also have bottles from the U.S., France, Italy, Spain and South America.

I asked for a Gewurztraminer or something like it that could go well with a spicy Asian dish. He showed me one in the cooler, then picked out the 2007 Santa Julia Organica Torrontes, a blend from Mendoza, Argentina for about $10.99.

It is a very pale, yellow-tinged color, but has a huge nose of peaches leaning toward peach schnapps. In the mouth, the wine was much more grounded in minerality and slightly effervescent. This is a great value pick and an interesting wine for the price.

No comments: