Monday, November 3, 2008

Terroir Coffee's Kenyan Ndiara Estate, Kirinyaga

Terroir described this Kenyan coffee as "An exceptionally sweet powerhouse coffee exploding with blackberry and crisp distinct notes of ripe blueberry," and said it stood next to its Mamuto Kenyan offering. The Mamuto is an amazing coffee, receiving a 97 from Ken David's Coffee Review, the leading coffee review site.

How could I resist? I still had money left on a gift certificate my mom got me for my 30th birthday this summer, so I got this and the La Esperanza from Huila, Colombia (which I will review in a future post).

This coffee took some time to build on me. It didn't blow me away at first, but I have really come to admire it. It has great juicy acidity. In a pour over, I felt like I was biting into a piece of fruit with every sip. I described it in my notes as having "the acidity of cranberry juice, but more of a lime-tangerine flavor." This coffee has a nice body, rolling around in the mouth, with addition flavors of red apple and lime.

As an espresso, this coffee had high fruit notes in the nose, and seemed a bit high strung in the mouth. Hazelnut, green apple and cherry flavors.

Terroir has priced this at an introductory rate of $20.95 for 12 ounces(normally $22.95).

No comments: