Tuesday, October 7, 2008

2007 Shooting Star Blue Franc Lemberger


This is quite the worldly wine. Blue Franc is made from Blaufrankisch grapes, a varietal grown in Austria and Germany. These particular grapes were grown in Washington state, and the wine was made in Lake County, California, so you have quite a globe trotting bottle here. The label is really cool too: it's a reproduction of a French Franc note.

The wine's appearance was dark and murky, with a nose of earth and a slight hint of must (the barnyard/must smell was much stronger in a Blaufrankisch I tried from Austria earlier this summer, and I'll give more details about that wine when I actually pop the cork). In the mouth, I found it to be "fruit on steroids" according to my notes. Since the wine received little oak, the fruit is very prominent on your palate, and isn't weighed down by wood or vanilla. There's some zippy tannins in there as well, and the wine finishes with some heat. It clocks in at 13.5 percent alcohol.

I paid $14.99 for this wine, though I see on the producer's page it can be ordered for $12.50. I think it's a great value and an interesting wine to try if you're looking for something different. Winemaker Jed Steele has been in the business for 40 years, and founded both Edmeades and Kendall-Jackson (perhaps you've heard of them?)

No comments: