Sunday, January 11, 2009

Dutton Estate WInery



One of the wineries I was most excited to visit during my trip to Healdsburg a few weeks ago was Dutton Estate. The winery's 2005 Cherry Ridge Vineyard Syrah ($34) got a nice write up (and 95 points) in the Dec 31-Jan 15 edition of Wine Spectator. Under the heading Rich & Ripe, it said "this rich, layered red is dense with blackberry, wild berry, anise, fresh earth and cedar notes," and "there's not a lot of it, but try to get your hands (on one)."

I tried, alas, but failed, as they were sold out by Dec. 30th when I showed up. They had the 2004, but it didn't blow me away, so I passed. Here are my tasting notes:

2007 Cohen Sauvignon Blanc ($20): slight earth on the nose, green apple, kiwi, great acidity in the mouth.

2007 Rose of Pinot Noir ($18): nice tart wine, some baked fruit notes.

2003 Dutton Ranch Syrah ($22.50): light, restrained fruit flavors, bits of pepper peeking through.

2004 Cherry Ridhe Syrah ($34): Smelled a little extracted on the nose, with rubber and tar. In the mouth the wine was nicely balanced with red berries and cherry flavors.

2006 Russian River Valley Zinfandel: plums on the nose, cranberries, cardamon and blackberries in the mouth.

2006 My Father's Vineyard Syrah ($34): Herbal nose, rosemary and cedar. In the mouth very cool and herbal as well. This wine stood out among the bottles I tasted, and I ended up buying one. Later I saw that it was given 90 points in WS.

No comments: