Saturday, January 10, 2009

Tercos 2006 Malbec



Tercos, which means "stubborn" in Spanish, is a new Argentinian winery and this is its first release. Retails for $12, butI exchanged a bottle for it with a family member during Thanksgiving.

I've never been a big fan of Malbec in the past (at least the cheap ones I bought for around $10 in the store) because they seemed too harsh and too alcoholic -- if memory serves, they tasted like a badly made mixed drink with too much vodka. My tastes have changed a lot since then, and I am more appreciative now of wines with some tannic backbone, and Malbec certainly has rustic, or robust, tannins to go along with its spicy character and big fruit flavors. They're a great winter wine when well done.

I've been reading a lot lately in wine magazines and from critics and bloggers about the incredible value wines being produced in Argentina for less than $20, so I was looking forward to trying this one.

It clocked in at 13.9% alcohol, and had violets and sweet tar on the nose. In the mouth I got fleshy red and black fruit, particularly raspberries and blackberries. The wine has a peppery bite and hints of milk chocolate. Overall a really great wine for the money.

No comments: